Saturday, 13 August 2011

Lion at Djuma, just another day

Its easy to become complacent when living and working in the African Bush. I was reminded of that as I sat in my office talking with a safari guest in the UK who will be joining the Ingwe team and also visiting Djuma as part of her safari. It's always interesting to talk to folks around the world, and as we chatted about the weather and the current riots in the UK, I glanced out of my office window idly watching vultures gliding about 200 meters away. I casually mentioned this and was asked what the vultures were doing. 'Oh there'll be a leopard kill somewhere nearby'. There was silence on the other end of the line, followed by 'my word, I just wish I could live with wildlife as you do'.
I not only work in the bush but also live in the bush. I have to admit that having worked at Djuma Game Reserve over the last years, has also made me complacent about events that while every day, are amazing. On my last night with Safari Television the whole team sat around the fire enjoying a final beer together when we heard Lion roaring close by. We all jumped in a game drive vehicle, grabbed a torch and found four male lion which we followed for a while before heading back to the fire. I sometimes need to pinch myself.


If you would like to join us on safari and visit Djuma to meet the Djuma safari team then get in touch with my wife Carol carol@ontracksafaris.com


Written by Will Fox

No comments:

Post a Comment